The colors of red, white and blue will be seen across Atlanta on America’s Marathon Weekend Powered by Powerade as the nation’s best marathoners compete for spots on Team USA. Atlanta Track Club will also have its eye on another color: green, and how to ensure that the weekend’s events are environmentally responsible.
Sustainability at America's Marathon Weekend
- America’s Marathon Weekend Experience: The Georgia World Congress Center, home of the Experience, is the largest Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified convention center in the U.S. The Club is working with GWCC to recycle, and will receive data on waste diverted from landfills.
- Recycling and Composting: Watch for recycling and composting bins throughout the weekend. The Club is working with local nonprofit Compost Now.
- Athlete Cooling: Full Circle is providing 5,000 compostable, cellulose sponges for use at three hydration stations to help cool athletes during the U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Marathon. The contribution is an effort to encourage their #startwithaspongechallenge, educating people to choose sponges that are natural rather than plastic.
- Green Team Volunteers: This group, in bright green vests, will help participants recycle.
How to Help
- Public Transportation: Visitors are highly encouraged to use MARTA.
- Recycling on race day: If you’re participating in the Publix Atlanta Marathon, Half Marathon or 5K, the Dasani plastic water bottle, Powerade bottle and chocolate milk container you will receive once you cross the finish line are recyclable. The CLIF bar wrapper, muffin packaging and sub wrapper are not.
- Composting on race day: If you’re participating in the Publix Atlanta Marathon, Half Marathon or 5K, any leftover food waste you have post-race should go in a compost bin. Paper towels and napkins are also compostable. All wrappers must be placed in the trash.
- Volunteer with the Green Team: Do you have a special interest in helping with the Club’s Green Initiative? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.